“I will always remember the “deer in the headlights” look of the “little boy” we dropped off at CYC, compared to the confident, competent, joy filled young man who greeted us just one week later at banquet. Each subsequent year brought a new milestone, a new goal, a new achievement, a new understanding, and a faith and compassion that has remained evident, and constant over the years and the miles.”
BOB MACKENZIE PARENT OF CYC ALUMNUS
100 Years of Faith
For over 100 years, our conference has existed to provide discipleship training and an experience of Christian community to adolescent students. We strive to create a positive experience for teens year after year.
In order to accomplish this we keep the following principles in mind:
- All members of the community will be required to treat each other with respect.
- We strive to encourage and honor questions about God, faith, the Bible and all aspects of life.
- Students will be considered to have attained a certain level of maturity and will be given freedom commensurate with that maturity. Boundaries and curfews are age-appropriate.
- All staff have been hand-picked by their Dean or Director and all who are over 18 have undergone criminal background checks.
- “Safe Camp” procedures are in effect.
- A nurse is consistently available throughout the conference.
But, while safety is important, it is only a base goal. We want to give our students far more than a sense of security.
Your teens will be stretched, encouraged to step outside their comfort zones and to take positive risks. Perhaps they will speak in chapel, sing at vespers or dance in the talent show. Maybe they’ll try out a new spiritual discipline they hear about in class or answer questions during evening program. Perhaps they’ll volunteer to lead their prayer group. They may even make a leap of faith and put their trust in God. It is our hope to provide a community in which students want to grow.
We pray that Christ will work through us to make the Maximum Impact on the teens entrusted to us.